Monday, October 20, 2008

Beverly Underwood


Today, I pay my final respects to the memory of Beverly. Today, I remember with gratitude her life and I give thanks to God for those things she did to make our world a better place.
When I think about Beverly and the times I was around her, a couple of things come to mind.
The first is honesty. She was as honest as the day is long. She didn’t hide her feelings.
And I remember how she loved life. She loved people. She always made me feel special, and I think she had a way of making everyone she was with feel that way.
I know God blessed me when He sent her my way, for a few hours or a few days, here and there over the years. To just be around her for a little while was uplifting….energizing…she was going to make you smile.
I know she faced special health challenges these last few years. She knew her share of hardship, struggle and uncertainty. She tried her best to keep going in spite of all she endured. She always was filled with hope, hope for the best. She had a cheerful confidence that life would bring good things. She had an abounding optimism. She demonstrated great strength and courage. Today I say goodbye to a gallant lady. She never gave up and never gave in. Strong. Brave.
She always carried herself with a decency and attention to small kindnesses that also defined a good life. When I remember Beverly, I will think of a woman characterized by sweetness and the sincerity of a good Christian woman. All in all, I remember a lady, a good lady and a good person.
I’ll share with you a great quote I came across;
"One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been."
And in Beverly’s evening, her light burned bright with open and wise prescriptions for us all. Today, as we take her to rest, as we seek to measure her life, it is clear how truly splendid Beverly’s day has been.

I would like to share with you a reading about death. The popular passage comes from a sermon on death written by Scott Holland, delivered in St. Paul's Cathedral on 15 May 1910

Death is nothing at all. It doesn’t count.
I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no air of sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for our family. Let my name be ever the household word that is always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without a ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner. All is well with my soul. Nothing is past; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before. How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

____
I believe that. Ric

(I was going to close here, but on second thought, decided to add another of my favorite poems.
May you be blessed by it.)


WHEN TOMORROW STARTS WITHOUT ME


When tomorrow starts without me,
And I'm not there to see,
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me;

I wish so much you wouldn't cry
The way you did today,
While thinking of the many things,
We didn't get to say.

I know how much you love me,
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me,
I know you'll miss me too;

But when tomorrow starts without me,
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand,

And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I'd have to leave behind
All those I dearly love.

But as I turned to walk away,
A tear fell from my eye
For all my life, I'd always thought,
I didn't want to die.

I had so much to live for,
So much left yet to do,
It seemed almost impossible,
That I was leaving you.

I thought of all the yesterdays,
The good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
And all the fun we had.

If I could relive yesterday,
Just even for a while,
I'd say good-bye and kiss you
And maybe see you smile.

But then I fully realized,
That this could never be,
For emptiness and memories,
Would take the place of me.

And when I thought of worldly things,
I might miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you, and when I did,
My heart was filled with sorrow.

But when I walked through heaven's gates,
I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me,
From His great golden throne,

He said, "This is eternity,
And all I've promised you.
Today your life on earth is past,
But here life starts anew.

I promise no tomorrow,
But today will always last,
And since each day's the same way
There's no longing for the past.

You have been so faithful,
So trusting and so true.
Though there were times
You did some things
You knew you shouldn't do.

But you have been forgiven
And now at last you're free.
So won't you come and take my hand
And share my life with me?"

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here, in your heart.

Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment