Friday, December 20, 2013

Good Morning


I was raised/taught to say "good morning" when you first see someone, very much the same way you say please and thank you.  You don't just ignore someone and not say "good morning."  Hiding behind a shield of not being a  "morning" person is asinine and nothing more than an excuse to be rude.  You can choose to be courteous, and whether you do or don't has absolutely nothing to do with being a ‘morning person’. It has everything to do with how you view yourself, the world, and the people around you. Negative people are much less likely to be courteous. 

It “don’t cost nothing” to say good morning.... As I said, It “don’t cost nothing” to say good morning. 

Each of us represent more than just ourselves as we interact with individuals. We reflect our family. Husbands reflect on their wives, wives reflect on their husbands, children reflect on their parents. And some clearly never learned “good manners.”  Speaking and acknowledging another person’s presence is an expectation. Overlooking one’s habit of not speaking because they are not a “morning person” doesn’t help change the rude behavior. I believe that “courtesy is contagious” and the smile and greeting may be the first friendly gesture another person has experienced that day. Keep on smiling and speaking. 

I don’t expect anyone to go out of their way to INITIATE a greeting with me, but if I pass you in the hall and you ignore me, that is really rude, especially if you do it routinely. Soon, the polite people stop bothering with it and it fosters a culture of not speaking to one another – what a lousy place to work or live! Educated people should know better. And not being a morning person is no excuse for rudeness. What if I’m not an “afternoon person” and I snub you in the afternoons, is that OK?   Ridiculous. 

Are you really going to treat me like a stranger?  You’re walking down the hall and a co-worker is walking toward you. Now, I’m not talking about a bear hug or a kiss. Still, it doesn’t kill anyone to smile and nod to let others know they exist in your world. Too busy for a quick “hi”? No, you’re not.  I am not talking about being perky!!! I am talking about a simple “hi” or a slight nod or smile! The excuse that you are “not a morning person ” doesn’t fly. Decent, respectful people greet each other in the morning…..and that’s all I am going to say on the matter.  It does seem as if some folks have never been held accountable for this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment