Monday, February 18, 2019

How much does it cost?

This is probably the most common question we ask.  How much does it cost?  Can we afford it?  A free concert in the park, you say?  Oh yeah, I am in.  But $250 a ticket?  I don't know about that.

Steak or  hot dogs?  Sometimes we can't afford the steak. 

The bible says, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

I can tell what you really care about by what you spend your money on.  To some people, the car they drive is important.  Or the shoes they wear, that is real important. Where the money goes shows where your heart is.

When the money is short or scarce, you are forced into choices.I read often of the elderly having to choose between food or medicine? Toys or school supplies?  Sometimes you do without so your kids have what they need.  Who among us hasn't had to make tough choices like this?

I have been dead broke, with no job and no income.  I have had low paying jobs where I had to be so careful with every dollar.  And I have had successful times where I had all the bills paid and extra to spare.  And through the course of all my experiences I have learned where my heart is.

I can do without expensive meals.  I can eat pretty cheap, when I have to.I need a place to sleep.  I don't want to be homeless.  I need a roof and a bed.  And somewhere safe, I don't want to be in danger. I need to get to work, so I just need something reliable to drive.And I want my family to be provided for.  I need enough to meet their basic needs and wants.

So that is where my heart is.  My family is my treasure, and that is where my money goes, to provide for them.  If I ever have any extra, it is only spent to make them feel special.  I want them all to feel as special and loved as they are to me.   I have been guilty of spending money I don't have.  But when I do it is for them.  

Beyond that, my treasure is in Heaven, and I want to please the Lord.  I want to help the needy.  I want to give to the poor.  I do that all the time.

I see people all the time who never stopped to ask, "what does it cost?"  I see parents who never bothered to ask what was the cost to their kids, as they worked excessive hours at their career. I see famous people who never worried about the cost of fame.  

The Bible says, "What shall a man be profited if he gain the whole world, and lose his soul."
We make the bed we lie in.  We have to live with our choices.  Let's be smart and and consider the question, How much does it cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment