Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day


My Dad is my hero.

He has always been there for me. There has never been a day in my life, when I couldn’t count on him being there if I needed him. If I needed advice, as I often do when hard or difficult decisions are to be made, I knew he would give me his best.

He has always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me when I needed him to. He pushed when I didn’t want him to. He taught be so many things.

I know that Dad had an important job. He was working to change the world, one sermon at a time. I learned from him about true religion. He has that quality that all heroes have in common. They have religion. By religion I do not mean the church creed he professes. But it is that we sometimes refer to as character. It is that which he truly believes. It is that which is the primary thing for him. And it has nothing to do with church or Sundays.

I learned that the thoughts we have are the parents of the actions we do. Our feelings are the parents of our thoughts. It is the unseen and spiritual within us that determines the outward and actual. My dad taught me this. And this was and has been his life, seeking to help us become the person we want to be, by showing us how to believe. Believe in ourselves, believe in others and to believe in something much bigger than ourselves, eternity, and to believe in the faith that moved him and sustained him in life.

When I say he is my hero, I mean that I hope to be like him. His love for others, his kindnesses, his great smile and disposition, are all things I admire.

He is not perfect. Who is? But he has so much that I Iong for. I try to be a dad myself like him. If I ever don’t know what to do, all I have to do is ask myself, what would Dad do?

He is technically, not my dad, but my step dad. My real dad died 4 months before I was born. He came into my life when I was two years old. He and my mom married then. They had two kids together, but they raised me with them, and he always loved me as much as his own. There has never been any difference, or ever any partiality shown to them over me, in all these years. His love for me is amazing.

I keep telling you how blessed I have been. This is just another of those many blessings I have known.

To all the Fathers out there, Happy Fathers Day…..Ric

No comments:

Post a Comment